12 March 2009

Where We Are Treated Like Royalty

I think every volunteer needs some safe, clean, comfortable, and relaxing place they can go when they need to get away from site for a day or two. Yeah, there are backpackers (hostels) and if you're in the mood, you can spring for something a little more fancy.... but I'm thinkin' something a little more like home. A home away from home.
In the beginning months because my housing situation was so.... interesting... and I was still reeling from the idea that I was in AFRICA... I spent a ton of time in town. Now that I've settled and have my own routine in the village, I don't head there as often. When I do get a chance to go it's an adventure. I usually will run some errands, then grab a cup of coffee at Woolie's (Woolworth's), and people watch until it's time to meet up with other volunteers.
Two of my very favorite people in South Africa live in Tzaneen and I'm very lucky to know them. John and Mary host movie nights, braais, have helped with some funding ideas and funding, can relate to what it's like to be a volunteer because they were once volunteers themselves, and have really opened up their hearts and lives to all of us.
Has it really been a year and a half since I first met them?

March 2008, Back row:Nancy, Jim, Megan, and Erin. Front row: Mary, Virginia, Jaceson, and John.

And things have changed a little...March 2009. Back row: Rachel (friend and Oliver's girlfriend), Oliver (SA-17), Steve (friend of John and Mary's who is visiting from the UK and volunteering his time), and Megan. Front row: Mary, Virginia, Jaceson, and John.

No comments: