04 March 2009

Heal Me... or at least tell me my future

Over the holidays, when I found myself in some pretty incredible mountains, I had my "bones" read by a traditional healer. It was pretty cool (thanks, Abby, for the encouragement!), at times more than a little vague, and a good experience.
The "bones" consist of various animal bones, some shells, dice, and rocks. You just lay down your 20 , cup the bones in your hand, shake, shake, shake, and throw the bones over the money. What does this bone throwing show?
Answer: I am lucky. I have a good family and many friends. I will pursue a career in the medical field. I will travel a lot and help a lot of people. Because of some condition I will not be able to have children, but the condition is treatable if caught early. When I have children they will be boys. I will marry, but not right now. I am very lucky.

And here I am with the sangoma (traditional healer) and our translator.
If I were to seek out the help and guidance of a traditional healer in my own village, it very well could compromise my work, connections I have made, and people's thoughts of me.

1 comment:

Tamiko said...

That's pretty neat, Megan! I've considered having something like that done, but the closest I had to my future being told was meeting a lady on a train in Barcelona who spontaneously starting telling us things...