18 March 2009

He looks a lot like... Holden

I've really stepped up my picture taking. There was a lull for a few months last year, but now I've hit the point in my service where the end is in sight, I know I've got to capture everything I see and know. I have to laugh and smile at how many things have become routine and blend into the wallpaper of everyday now. Being squished in a taxi with 16 other people? Gotta do it, so it is done. Walking anywhere and having to avoid cows, donkeys, and goats roaming free? Although there have been a few close calls, I've made it through alive and unharmed. Talking on the phone to someone in America and having the sheep and roosters cry in the background wanting to say hello? That's a strange mix of the two worlds I live in. Carrying my water to my room from a barrel? I have learned, after many trips, to bring the bucket top and to only fill it to a certain line... it's easier to carry and every drop makes it into my room. People staring and wondering what I'm doing standing on the side of the tar road or emerging from Metz? I smile and wave. Most people around here know me, but because we're off a big tar road it's easy to see multiple unknown faces.
IIIIIIIIIIt's Holden.....in goat form. Yes, this goat resembles my dear old dog, Holden, the coolest, most stubborn and neurotic Basset Hound, may he rest in peace. I was thinking about getting another dog when I move back to The States, but maybe my sights are now on a goat, instead. I'm willing to try something new.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes he does look like Holden. Stubborn too I bet.