15 July 2009

SA-16 CHOP


I was in the taxi yesterday morning... one of those rides where I was okay sitting still and watching the mountains roll past for the 45 minute trip to town. The driver had put on an IPCC CD and Rejoice was translating the Sotho for me. After a while, everyone settled into their seats, and there was silence, only the music was playing, at a normal volume, through the speakers. I got lost in thought. There are times like this where I love to follow where my mind takes me.... I jump around... I have revelations... I can pass the taxi ride coming up with new ideas. It was on this taxi ride that it hit me so clearly how important the SA-16 CHOP group is. We are tight and very, very close. A couple of weekends ago we had our last get together before everyone starts going their separate ways... and it was great. A full 36 hours of hanging out, talking, staying up late, drinking coffee, hugs, laughing, good food, story telling, and a general feeling of comfort. As I was thinking back on all the conversations we had that weekend, some things became even more crystal clear. We are strong. We all came to South Africa with our own insecurities, confidences, and baggage. We all were knocked down on more than one occasion. Most everyone has a story of hitting bottom and getting back on their feet. At the end of two years, many of us can't really put this whole experience into words. "What a wild ride!" covers it.. but not really. It's a pretty amazing feeling to be part of a group of amazingly strong individuals.. people who I know have my back...that will always get my experience here. I may not have words, I may not know how to explain it all, but they'll always be around to say, "I totally get it, I understand....remember that time when..." Thank you SA-16 CHOP for walking with me on this journey. You know I have your back. I wish I could say more, describe it all so eloquently, but, hey, you guys totally get it...

No comments: