12 August 2009

You Need Pap And Butternut For 150 People

The party was out of control. The party was huge. The party was a success. The party made a lot of people happy. The party was awesome. I've thought about how I would write about it, but once again, words don't seem to cover everything... so I've opted to tell the story of the party through photos and little blurbs. It was quite the day... starting at 4am for all the ladies cooking and getting things ready and 7 for Keri, June, and I... and going until close to 9, when the last of the serious party people wobbled and swayed out of the yard with the band leading them home.
This is the woman who organized EVERYTHING and has taken such good care of me while I've been living in Metz. My African Mama.
Yes, a cow was slaughtered in my honor. While we were off running errands and buying a ton of food in town, the men of the family came to MmaDiapo's on Friday and chose a cow from her kraal for the celebration. While it was hanging in the garage waiting to be cut up on Saturday morning, I thanked it for its life.
This is the cake Keri, June, and I all picked up on Saturday morning before all the action started. They weren't quite ready for us to take it home when we arrived, so Keri and I took June on her first South African taxi ride, while we waited for it to be ready.
This is where I tried really hard to help out.. and found out that I need some serious upper arm strengthening. African women are STRONG.
And this is what it really looks like. They take the big spoon (oar. ha!) and turn and turn and turn the pap so that it gets fully cooked and doesn't burn in the bottom of the pot.
And after working up a sweat with the whole trying-to-stir-pap-adventure it was the BEST time! TEA TIME! So Keri, June and I all grabbed water from a kettle over the fire, grabbed some biscuits that were made the night before, and settled down in front of my room with our pal The Sponge.
What's a party without some snacks being sold out front? Yes. A popcorn machine was set up on a table across the road. I think those guys made some money!

No comments: