10 August 2009

Resiliency

I spent a good part of my afternoon hanging out in MmaDiapo's sewing room. I was lying on the bed asking her all kinds of questions about her childhood, what it was like when her family was forced to move to the area that is now Metz, how she put herself through school by being a cook, how she's always wanted to be a farmer, but going to school for agriculture was too expensive so she became a teacher instead... the pay helped build up her life in Metz and support her 5 children, and how she became so talented on the sewing machine... she was designing and sewing the skirt she is making MmaMmapula back over there in Austin. The more I learn about this woman, the more blown away I am by her resiliency, courage, determination, and good heart.
Here she is sportin' the tekkies (tennis shoes) June left behind AND drinking some of the tea June brought her.... she wanted to make sure June knew how much she was enjoying everything.
Happy Women's Day 2009! I am so lucky to know so many strong, loving and amazing women.

2 comments:

bug76 said...

oh wow!! she's wearing my shoes!! I feel so honored...and drinking the tea....love that Mma Diapo. Meg, I am so happy that you found a home in South Africa with her and her family. In Rishi's words, they are good peoples.

yerpalkevin said...

dear megan,
i have finally looked at your blog...your amazing
xoxoxoxokevin