27 April 2009

Happy Freedom Day!

Freedom Day is the South African public holiday that commemorates the first post-apartheid elections held on 27 April 1994; a day in which every person of voting age (18 and older) and from any race group could cast a ballot for their choice of candidate.
I spent the morning hanging out with my family, playing with the kids, and trying on one of the traditional skirts MmaDiapo is making me (beautiful!!!). In the afternoon, Nick came over and hung out. We talked, walked to the post office, and sat with everyone outside, in the shade, ate grapefruits, and learned how to pop kernels off of mealie cobs so that the kernels can, eventually, be taken to the grinder at Kodumela.
Then, for supper, I made myself some pancakes... they turned out really well and I'll get to eat some for breakfast in the morning.

No comments: