16 April 2009

And Grandma, they eat parts of the chicken I've never seen before!

Back in the day, when I was living in America, I didn't eat much meat. Because of the taste, red meat was not an option (and it's been that way since I was 11 or so), chicken was on occasion, and I'd eat fish when I was craving protein or a seafood platter. If given the choice I would have chosen vegetables, tofu, beans, etc. for any given meal. Like a lot of things, choices, conveniences, and options, when I got to South Africa that all changed. I had decided that if I found myself in a situation where something was being offered to me and it would be culturally insensitive or rude to not try it.. I would try it. At the very least I would try it. I'll try something once. The first week of training when I was at the teacher's college with all the other volunteers, I could get away with eating all the sides, but when I got to Gopane it was a different story. Mma Mable's family didn't have much in the way of money, but they were a little better off than some people in the village. Every night we would have a decent size meal made of two things.... macaroni and tomato sauce, pilchards and rice, pap and chicken. I remember one night in particular sitting on the porch with Thato waiting for Mma Mable to finish up the cooking (it was her night). We were watching the stars coming out, giggling about the wishes we were making, and because of the dark we couldn't see very far in front of us. When supper was served, Mma Mable handed me a plate and I dug in with my right hand. I put a huge bite of morogo (greens) in my mouth, instantly started to gag and gagged quietly, trying to recover from the shock of chewing a large glob of a greens and chicken livers. I tried to feel around on my plate to pick out the livers, but they were cut up into small pieces and it was a lost cause. I eventually ended up going the passive route and just stopped eating. I didn't say anything, I just sat there with my plate on my lap and mulled over what the best way to handle the situation was. When it was time to take all the dishes in the kitchen Mma Mable glanced at all my uneaten food and, like a good mother, took it from me, put it in a leftovers bowl, and told me to make myself a bowl of Corn Flakes. In Metz, I haven't had many awkward interactions when it's come to food. MmaDiapo can't eat red meat cause it makes her sick and usually there are enough sides at traditional meals for me to avoid the meat. And then there was that time when I managed to eat everything but the chicken on my plate and the woman next to me was so exasperated with how slow I was, she just grabbed my chicken and ate it for me. Now, whenever I'm given chicken at a catered function, I just hand it off to my neighbor. I'm not going to eat it, but I know someone else will and there's no need to waste.
I've eaten my share of "different" things here... mopane worms (caterpillars), termites, grasshoppers, a ton of different kinds of morogo, pumpkins, roots, fruits... but there are three things I can think of, off the top of my head, that I'm not sure I can try: chicken heads, chicken feet, and tripe or intestines. That's just not my bag. I understand not wasting anything, using all the parts. I understand why people here eat everything. I get it. I just don't think I can do it.
Chicken feet takeaway lunch.

Maite preparing supper for the Phokungwanes.

All those heads and feet.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Megan!! I love reading your blog. I never know what to expect! Thinking about those feet and heads...what exactly do you eat about them? There doesn't look like much to me...but I bet you've seen this happen!