03 May 2009

The Peg. The Rich. The Mom. The Dad. The MmaMmapula. The Mpho. The South Africa.

In true Owen/Hair Family fashion... when I say I'm going to do something... I'm going to do it. It might take me awhile to get around to it, I might think a little too hard about it, but it will get done. And when it gets done, man, more often times than not, it turns out pretty OK. A letter, a present, and in this case... a blog post.
I am lucky. I'm not sure how to put that in more words... not sure how to string them all together and have them make sense, relay all that I'm trying to say. SO... I'll say it again. I got lucky. I am lucky. Something out there was looking out for me and I was born into a pretty great life. I've had options and opportunities. I've always managed to live in an environment where I could feel love and know what it's like to love and be loved. I've seen things that have blown my mind and have left me hungry for more. I've heard things that have made my heart sing... and at times it has hurt. This whole experience has been incredibly challenging (that's the word we're using at the moment). We all know this. It's been challenging, but.. but... but.....
I have things to make it a little easier, to soothe me. I have friends and family who send me packages and letters and text messages and emails. I have people who call to check in. I have a great support system here when it comes to all my PCV friends (damn, you guys are amazing). I have a pretty cool African family that loves and cares about me. I know I'm strong, I can do this, I have done this. It's good. There are rough patches and there are low points, but I always try to bring myself back to the center... right where I can look out and see all these comforts and loves.
This goes out to my parents... Rich and Peg. Mpho and MmaMmapula. The Owen's. They have given me a good life and I can only hope that I can pass on to others all that I've learned from them. I love you guys! Thank you for being right beside me through this whole experience.
The Journey to South Africa, when my parents came to visit.
(This was a HUGE trip... these are just some highlights)

In Metz Village:
We danced.
We washed.
We walked.
We talked with the neighbors.
The Mamas met each other.

We went to the office....

We took the office on a field trip...
To Blyde River Canyon
in the taxi to the Potholes
and to a fancy traditional lunch....
where the waitstaff and the chef wanted to get in the picture, too.

We went to Gopane and met my first African Family....
We went to Kruger, we toured Soweto, we visited a traditional Tsonga embroidery warehouse, we ate dinner with John and Mary, we ate at Wimpy, we locked the keys in the boot of the car, we ate Malva Pudding with custard, we laughed a lot, we got frustrated with the maps and the signs on the roads not matching, we tasted some wine, we tasted some cheese, we went to the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point, we visited the Cape Town Botanical Gardens THREE times and drank tea and ate scones,
and had chai tea and scones at a Tibetan teahouse, we stayed in backpackers, in flats, some pretty sketchy motels....
And some way fancy places (where we washed our clothes in the bathtub and hung them to dry on the balcony)

These people rock.

7 comments:

Tamiko said...

Your parents do rock!! I'm glad they were able to visit you and get a glimpse of your life in South Africa. What an amazing ride it's been for you! I'm so proud of you!!

amanda said...

How Cool!!

I agree . . . your parents rock! :)

I can't wait for my parents to come out here and visit me!

I love all the photos and the captions too. AND, the photo with your 1st african family is a keeper. That is a great photo!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Meg, It's lovely to know we mean so much to you, and you too are top-notch. Love, the Rich, the Dad, the Mpho and what-what ...

Jennifer said...

Aww...how sweet. I'm so glad I am included in your life via blog. I don't know your Dad, but I know that your Mom is pretty cool. I'm happy to work with her. One of these days I'm going to get a letter to you, I promise! :) Cheers! Jennifer

Peg said...

Thanks for the kind words, the photos, and the memories of our Great African Adventure. Thanks, too, for being an excellent tour guide! Love, The Mom, The MmaMmapula, The Peg

bronwyn said...

i love mom and dad too :)

Becky said...

Wow! It looks like you all had so much fun during their visit!!! Thanks for sharing the photos and the experiences...