26 May 2009

16 May 2009 The D. The J.


So, two very good friends of mine, from back home in Austin, got married a little over a week ago... 16 May 2009 to be precise (hence the title). They got married in the evening, in their backyard, surrounded by family and friends, and let me tell ya', I wish I could have been there. I'm still working on the whole trying to be two places at once idea... still no leads.. but I'm still working.
While I was in Pretoria, I went searching for the most perfect "congratulations on your wedding!" card I could find.... and my search ended with that lady up there.
Mmapula: Excuse me? I was wondering if you speak Afrikaans?
CNA Employee: I do... don't you?
M: No, I don't... I was wondering if you could help me.
CE: Yes, yes, what is it you need?
M: Weeeeellllll, I'm looking for a card, for a wedding, that's in Afrikaans and I can't read any of the words.. can you point me in the right direction?
CE: Yes... they're all right here... (and she pointed at specific words like "bruid" and "bruidegom" so I could just search for those).
M: Thanks for your help!
later on...
M: Um, excuse me again? I was wondering if you could help me translate the card I picked out. See it's pink and flowery and has all this fancy writing.. its gotta say something good, right? Can you translate the inside so I can write that for my friends so they'll understand what I'm trying to tell them?
CE: Your friends don't know Afrikaans?
M: Uh, no.
CE: Why are you sending them such a card?
M: I was looking for one in Sotho, but it looks like your store is lacking in that area. I'm not even sure wedding cards in Sotho are even made.
CE: Oh! Yes, yes, I will help you.
So, for about 10 minutes we walked around the store. My new friend was translating, I was trying to keep up with her and remember the gist of everything, and then another customer, a little old lady who couldn't see very well, was following us trying to get some help.
The result? The translation went a little something like this: "It says, good wishes, um, I don't know that word, happy, love, you, life, hands, and lots of other words that sound really nice and exactly like what you would say to some people you know who are getting married."
Uh, thanks.
And I ended up helping the little old lady find the items on her shopping list.
Because the whole event... and it was an event... was so classic, so something that would happen, I asked if she would pose for a photo.
M: My friends in America will LOVE this!
When I went to print photos later on I printed her a copy and delivered it to CNA before catching a movie. She teared up and thanked me profusely... dragged me to meet her manager and to show him her photo..... totally worth a card in Afrikaans that I can't understand...
Happy Wedding Dominique and Jack! Love you guys and please know I was with you in spirit!

2 comments:

bronwyn said...

uhem this is quite possibly the best story i've ever heard

Tamiko said...

Yes! Your friends in America LOVE this story! :) You're awesome for going the extra mile to deliver that print, and it's wonderful that you got to see the gratitude...