25 May 2009

Memorial Day That Side... This Side? It's Monday.

I was awake at 6:30 this morning, but I didn't find my way out of bed until closer to 8. It's the way it goes... it's Monday... it's the first day back after almost 3 full weeks away... I took my sweet time. I took a bath. I washed my hair. I read a chapter in the last Twilight book... I took care of all my priorities.
When I got to Kodumela the whole office was quiet, nothing really going on. After talking to Maite for a few minutes, getting the scoop on how everything was going in the office: Mphoyane had her baby boy, they're starting to make ID's for all the sponsored kids, the internet wasn't connecting on her computer, I settled down at an empty corner desk and took care of some Peace Corps paperwork. The day was slow, but really good. Every time someone passed the door of the office Maite would yell, "This is OUR office! Mmapula has moved in! You can find her here from now on." And every time she left the office she would say, "Mmapula I am not leaving you, I am coming now now." (Which means she'll be back very soon). We had tea and half a loaf of white bread at the morning tea time and then at 3, for afternoon tea, we split a 1.5 liter bottle of Fanta Grape and the rest of the loaf with Collins (he spells it this way, but calls himself Collin). Collins said, "Mmapula, I have no problem with you possessing the ownership of this yellow room", and I was so happy... I'll be there tomorrow.
Maite and Collins. We laugh a lot.

Check out these poses!

On my walk home I ran into Salome from Madeira (a village down the road just past the hospital). She was carrying home all the freshly ground mealie meal she got processed at Kodumela.

And just as I was about to cross the tar road to home, I ran into Lerato (the far left) and her friends carrying empty cans from the shebeen home.

1 comment:

Tamiko said...

Isn't Twilight such a fun book?! Easy read and totally addicting. :)