04 February 2009

Pop This Lock

I went to a funeral prayer this afternoon. Right after I met the cutest kid ever with a smile full of pearly whites and before I thought I would be lulled to sleep by all the singing.... I had this exchange:
Woman: Did you hear what your kind people have done for us here in South Africa?
Mmapula: My kind people? No, no, what did they do?
Woman: Well, I heard they unlocked the rain.
Mmapula: Who unlocked the rain?
Woman: America. America unlocked the rain. They have control and they get to choose which country gets access to the rain. We were chosen.
Mmapula: Where did you hear that?
Woman: The radio. Do you believe it?
Mmapula: I would be lying if I told you I did. (This is how my coworkers phrase such things). America may be a powerful country, but it doesn't control the weather and who will get the rain or when it will come.
Woman: Eish! No? I thought for sure they were right. I still think they are right.
Mmapula: Well, I lived there for a good part of my life and I've never heard of such a thing. There are many places in America that suffer from too much rain or many years of drought. I wonder where the radio got such information.
Woman: They unlocked the rain! Because they unlocked the rain, people are able to eat. There are plenty of mealies... and there is water that can be saved and will last a long time.

No comments: