05 February 2009

Mabu, I'd like to give a shout out to you

I'm not even sure where to start with Mabu. I'll mention that he's worked for MmaDiapo, tending to her cattle, for 8 years. That I hear his key click in the lock of his room between 6:30 and 6:45 every morning. That we share a wall... he uses the room next door for keeping his bike and clothes while he's away with the cows. That he rides his bike to and from Ticky Line everyday... a good 45 minute ride. That he's always there to greet me with a smile. That we don't speak the same language, but manage to talk all the same. That he proudly wears his Texas Longhorns' cap home every night after a long day of work. That he has done so much for my family, working every day of the week, and is very much considered part of the family. That MmaDiapo asks him to stay in his room so he can watch out for me when she's gone more than a night. That he has 5 children. That he has a calm and even voice. That he's one of the kindest men I've met in South Africa.


This is Mabu in the front yard. Today he was building a new kraal/temporary home for the cows to stay in while they clean out the current one. He posed so Phenyo, my neighbor, could take a picture.



This is what I see every morning on my way to work. Mabu, Charlie, and Karabo all working together on something in the yard.


Tonight Lethabo, Karabo, and I watched the cows try to adjust to their temporary home. It wasn't going so well. The new kraal was too small and the new fencing not sturdy enough to withstand all the running and bucking and fighting they seemed to be doing. After we watched for a good 15 minutes or so, all the adults (Mabu, MmaDiapo, Maria, MmaKori, and Maite...minus Mmapula) whistled and yelled and whooped and got them back into the old kraal where they seemed to be more comfortable, even if they were up to their knees in muck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He definitely has a kind face. And what a cute photo of you the kiddoes!