31 August 2008

Sunday

I love Sundays. Always have. A perfect Sunday for me involves lots of downtime, a pen and paper or a good book, and some tea. This Sunday was pretty awesome.... a brief rundown
*Woke up earlier than I would have liked, but felt well rested.
*Treated myself to Chai tea
*Read my book all morning and listened to the serious windstorm that lasted hours outside.
*Left my room to catch a taxi to meet Christy at Mabins Cross to catch yet another taxi into Mabins for Elayna's going away pizza party she was throwing for her neighbors and coworkers.
*Walked to tar road and greeted 2 very drunk men who were so pleased with my greeting in Sotho that they insisted on waving down a taxi for me.
*After many taxis driving by while one of the guys flailed his arms and attempted to get me a ride, I stood just behind him and threw my arm up when a taxi was approaching.
*Taxi pulled over to pick me up and driver laughed at the guy who had helped me.
*Got to Mabins Cross, met Christy, and was in another taxi headed towards the village in no time. Of course there was yet another version of "The Weakness in Me" (the only version I knew before coming here was by Joan Armatrading) blaring.. the dance remix... and we bounced down the dirt road to its beat.
*Got to Elayna's earlier than the set party start time and got to hang out and catch up... talk about all the SA 15's in the area leaving in the next week. Then because of African Time we got to hang out even more, waiting for guests to show up.
*Had a lovely meal of pap, potato salad, gravy, pizza, and juice and listened to everyone go around the group and talk about how much Elayna had done for them and how much they were going to miss her. It was really moving. She has done a lot and affected a lot of people in pretty profound ways.
*Met the new volunteer from the SA 18 Education group who has been placed in a village closer to the mountains. I'm glad more volunteers are moving into the area. PO Box 325 is going to be a happenin place with all the mail!
*Stuffed myself with Hershey Kiss topped peanut butter cookies (Yum! I swear if I were a cookie.. this is the cookie I would be) and grabbed two for the road as Christy and I climbed in the back of the bakkie Elayna's host dad was driving to work.
*After riding on the spare tire in the back with all the kids... we were dropped off at the cross. Caught a ride with a guy heading to Tzaneen.
*Our driver asked who we were and what we were doing here. "Oh, home based care and working with orphans work." So you work with old aged people and children? "Yes, children, people who are sick, old aged people." People who are sick, too? "Yep." People who have HIV? Can you tell who has HIV? "Yes. And no, you usually can't tell if they are HIV positive. They must be tested to make sure." I'm HIV positive. "Are you?" Yes. Was tested in 2005. It was a pretty striking conversation. He was so candid about his situation... but also admitted throughout the ride (which was only about 15 minutes) that he didn't disclose his status to everyone, only people he didn't know... it was safer that way. After hearing how his family and people he worked with talked about people who were sick, he decided it wasn't worth losing all those people in his life. His girlfriend died of AIDS in 2006 and although people suspect that he may be positive he hasn't told anyone. He's on ARV's and is taking care of himself, said he plans to live a long time and would like to move out of Limpopo and go to school... and maybe start to tell people his status while he is away from home. Fredrick, thank you for sharing your story with me... those 15 minutes reaffirmed a lot of things for me.
*Carried a Hershey Kiss cookie to Tanya's family's house and presented her with the treat. They were starting the little party that was being thrown for her.... pap, chicken, a cake, and some WWE on TV!
*Came home and sat outside with MmaDiapo while she pulled the feathers from a Guinea Fowl Mabu, the shepherd, had shot today in the bush, while he was tending to the cows.
*Ate an orange, looked the stars, and discussed my parents' vacation to South Africa. Yes they can stay here while visiting Metz Village! Yes we shall all go to Kruger! Yes that is fine that it is on my birthday! Yes, Mabu shall come with us, we can find someone else to watch the cows for the day!
*Some Honey Rooibos tea... some pajamas... a new book... and Mmapula heads to bed. This is one of those days where I thoroughly appreciated being given the opportunity to live here.
And I'm still sending prayers out to those affected by Gustav.... be safe, oh please be safe.

3 comments:

angloko said...

HI..
would u like to exchange postcard with me...

angloko said...

Thank you very much....
This my address:
Mohammad Shafie Bin Shafie
149 - A Lorong Jaya
Jalan Pulau Musang
20050 Kuala Teregganu
Terengganu, Malaysia.

Gone with postcrads said...

I also like Sundays. I need rest and relax!