23 January 2009

Chips, Masilu, Chips!




Some days just work out really well. Today I was supposed to take some reports from my office to the creche all the way on the other side of Metz (where I used to live). I walked out to the tar road and hoped and hoped and hoped that a taxi would come along shortly... it was too hot to be outside. I don't think I stood there two minutes before a taxi rounded the corner and stopped to pick me up. As luck would have it, it was Jeffrey, the guy who drove my parents, myself, and my office to Blyde River Canyon, Potholes, and Echo Caves back in October... and Jeffrey always gives me free rides. He dropped me off near the post office, right next to Jimmy's (aka Masilu's) chips stand. Jimmy's chips are good. Fresh and made to order. I took my parents there when they were visiting, Keri likes to get some when she comes to stay.... and on occasion I'll stop by just to see how things are going. It's a pretty nice set up... outside the little open air room made of wooden slates there's a big tent that gives shade to people who want to sit at the tables and chairs. As I was walking by, Jimmy yelled out "Happy New Year, Mmapula!" and I walked over to catch up. My dad has been asking me for some photos and Jimmy, who liked my dad very much, was more than happy to oblige. He sends his greetings to all my friends and family in America.

2 comments:

Tamiko said...

Love the pictures! Oh, and thanks for listing the author names with the books you've read. I look to your page for ideas. :)

BATTLEFINCH said...

and greetings to you Jimmy! are those deep-fried yams? i want some...