10 June 2008

You are strong

Dear Ophelia,
I'm not even sure where to begin and maybe some of the things I'll end up writing here will sound silly in the end. I've walked by your house so many times since I've lived in Metz. It's on the way to the post office, it's right across the road from all those girls who always manage to laugh at me, and now it's on the road the taxis have to use to get anywhere in the village while the tar road is being worked on. I'm embarrassed to admit that I know I've seen your house multiple times, but I'm not sure if I've ever really looked at it. Today I looked at it. Today, when Mosie brought Tanya and I to your house, I really looked at it. I saw how cracked the walls were, how the light came in between the roof and the bricks. I saw how little the "fence" was doing to protect your yard. And most importantly, I saw beyond all that, I saw how strong you are. I'm sorry things have been so hard and such a struggle, but girl, you've got strength that not a lot of people would show through repeated challenges. It seems as though you've been through your share of heartbreak, but you still manage to shine. I want you to know that you shine. I stood in your room today, asked you hard questions and I got some hard answers. I watched you turn your face away from us and towards the window when the tears would automatically come. It seems as though a lot of people have abandoned you... left you to figure out things for yourself and you seem to be truckin along as much as you can. I commend you and am proud of you for fighting so hard, staying in school, managing things so well on your own. Thank you for showing me part of your world and for being so honest about things that are hard. I promise, I will try my hardest to help you. I really promise.
Your friend,
Mmapula

No comments: