21 February 2008

The Library!

Yesterday, after visiting a creche (daycare), and then catching a ride with Asbagh, the bricklayer who drives a big work truck and always comes rolling down the road at just the right time, I passed by the library that's being built. I've passed by this library more than a dozen times in the months I've lived in Metz, but have never had a chance to go in....until yesterday. It was so, so hot and any sort of respite in the shade sounded so nice. As I passed the building, I noticed people in the doorway, thought about stopping, but then thought against it. Then, as usual (because all my networking skills are being finely tuned), I just shrugged and walked towards the entrance. I talked to some of the construction workers and got some answers to questions I've thought about since first seeing the building back in November. It turns out that they started building it in 2004 and they're hoping to have it finished in the next several months (cross your fingers!). Alias, the construction manager (yes, that's his name), let me walk around and take some pictures so all of you could see what I'm so excited about and so you could get excited, too. Everyone knows I love books. My mom is a librarian. I grew up going to the freakin' library and loved it so much I ended up getting a job there while I was in college. I have seriously thought about my plans after Peace Corps incorporating my love of books and social work. And....AND... now Metz Village has a library! A library with stations built specifically for computers, with plenty of shelves, a reception desk, carpet, flush toilets, and an area that is designated for all the kids that come to visit. I'll keep you updated on the progress.





The reception/check-out desk

The view from the (all brick) parking lot
The Library

4 comments:

Tamiko said...

oooh! How exciting! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it gets finished soon. It looks nice!

HRH said...

How cool of you to see the library! it's so Megan! I hope you're well.

I wish I were in better touch with you! I'll continue to read and to miss you!

ExMi said...

hello there..

sounds like you're having some interesting experiences here in sunny SA!

anyway, just wanted to invite you to join The South African Bloggers' Network - http://sabloggers.ning.com

still new, still recruiting.

but sign up, so we can all hook up!

A said...

oh my god. that is arguably the most beautiful building i have ever seen in south africa. well, at least, regarding peace corps. and not in pretoria. well...you know what i mean. i'm excited for you.